Tuesday 6 October 2009

Abbriviations for Knitting

Wow!  Over a month since I last posted.  Well I did warn you ;-)

I am still in the middle of making all my stuff for the craft fair so I haven't been able to write down any of my creations, but I did decide to spend a bit of time here and give you a heads up of what will be coming soon.

I have just taught myself to crochet and I am loving it, but I think I'll start with the knitting since I know it better at the mo.

I'll get conversion charts up soon so to begin here are the abbriviations that can crop up in knitting patterns.

They are all done in alphabetical order as I like things to be neat and tidy and easy to find. (Unlike my room ;-) )

A
alt = alternative or every other
approx = approximately

B
beg = begin/beginning
bet = between
BO = bind off (american terminolgy)

C
cc = contrast colour
circ = circular neddles
cm = centimeters
cn = cable needle
CO = cast on
cont = continue
C4B = cable 4 back
C4F = cable 4 front

D
dec = decrease
DP/dpn = double pointed needles

F
F = front
foll = follow/following

G
g = grams

I
in/ins = inches
inc = increase

K
K/k = knit
kfb = knit front and back
k1b = knit 1 below
k2tog = knit 2 together

L
lp = loop

M
m = meters
mm = millimeters
m1 = make 1 stitch

N
ndl = needle

O
oz = ounces

P
P/p = purl
patt = pattern
pfb = purl front and back
pm = place marker
prev = previous
psso = pass slipped stitch over
p2tog = purl 2 together

R
rem = remaining
rep = repeat
rs = right side
rev st st = reverse stocking/stockinette stitch

S
sk = skip
skp = slip 1 knit 1 pass slipped stitch over
sk2p = slip 1 knit 2 pass slipped stitch over
s2kp = slip 2 knit 1 pass slipped stitches over
sl = slip
sp = single point needles
ssk = slip slip knit
st(s) = stitches
st st = stocking/stockinette stitch

T
tbl = through back loop
tog = together
T4B = twist 4 back
T4F = twist 4 front
T2L = twist 2 left
T2R = twist 2 right

W
ws = wrong side
wyib = with yarn in back
wyif = with yarn in front

Y
yb = yarn back
yd = yards
yf = yarn at front
yfwd = yarn forward
yo = yarn over needle
yrn = yarn around needle
ytb = yarn in back
ytf = yarn in front

No comments:

Post a Comment